In 2007 we were commissioned to renovate the ceiling of the main hall in the Sheffield Cutlers Hall.
The project consisted of reapplying gold and silver leaf with painted detail to the numerous shields on the ceiling. Overall this used 80 books of 24ct gold leaf and 70 books of silver. This was the first restoration to take place at Cutlers Hall since world war II, we are proud to have contributed to this project.
This is Sheffield's third Cutlers' Hall, the previous buildings, which were built in the same location, were constructed in 1638 and 1725. Prior to 1638 the Cutlers met in rented accommodation, tradition has it, this was a public house. The first Cutlers Hall, a stone building with a slated roof was built in 1638, the building was quickly found to be inadequate.
It was repaired on many occasions and in 1725, a new Cutlers Hall was erected on the same site. It was an attractive, narrow Georgian three storied building. Towards the end of the 18th century the Cutlers Hall was used as an overspill court room as the Town Hall.
Today, the building is used for many prestigious events in the city's civic and commercial circles. For instance the annual Cutlers' Feast which became an annual event in 1648. As of 2008 there have been 372 Cutlers Feasts with breaks only for the World Wars and a cancellation in 1921.